Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Last ministry updates before leaving Queretaro

I love this place! I love my family and friends, the people, the culture, the ministry, todos y todos (everything)! The things that I don´t like are cockroaches (we have lots of them in Sydney, too), the dryness, and the cat calls - but I could live with them! So it´s with a heavy heart that I´m going to leave this place:(

The cafe is going well. Things are not as bad as I feared before. Jessica is coming back to work there next week, but she has continued with her English classes with Pati last week (Pati is a non-Xtian whom Jessi´s following up on). I´ve been encouraged by my friendships with Helena and Jessi. And thank God for Ahide, she has been accompanying me to go to places and help me practice with my Spanish (she doesn´t speak English) - please pray that God would provide a friend and a mentor for her to encourage her to grow in the Lord. Please pray for a guy called Jons, who are in Helena´s Monday English class. He almost prayed the prayer to accept Christ a couple of weeks ago when Rafa shared the gospel to him, but he didn´t because of a little interruption that happened. Since then, we´ve never seen him in Global anymore and we didn´t have his contact (he´s not an official student of the English class, so we don´t have his record). And thank God for my friendship with Maricela, please pray that Lluvia would be able to follow her up when I leave and for me to be able to maintain the friendship with her even when I´ve returned to Sydney.

I´ll be catching up with Mia, another chinita (well, half chinita, cos her Dad is from The Netherlands) from Brisbane, on Thursday. Thanks to Jessi for calling her and following her up. I hope we could continue to encourage each other as we meet up for the last time before I leave. Please also pray for Mia that whether she is to do a mission work or a secular work in Queretaro, she will live her live honouring God and be a witness of the gospel (she has a strategic job of teaching English!)

My family is amazing!:) They love Asian food (it´s unusual for Mexicans), so I´ve been cooking some Asian stuff for them and we had good quality times together. My sister here, Marianita, will go to Uni this July so I´ve been telling her to join Compa Bible Study once she´s in Uni. Marianita is quite different to girls of her age: she loves reading her Bible so muccccchhhhh and she has this huge hunger and passion to relate intimately with God, I find it very encouraging! And my mum, what can I say? I learnt so much from her: she has a stressful job, 2 kids to bring up, chores to do, meals to prepare, Bible study and talks to prepare, meetings to attend, and she does them joyfully without any complains no matter how tired she is! Please pray that God may continue to help this family to grow in their love for God and for one another, and that God may continue to use them to be a blessing to others!

And last but not least, my Compa Bible Study group:) I´m so gonna serve with Compa here if I am going to do a mission work. My friends at Compa here are like my second family. I´m really encouraged by their love for studying the Bible and for one another. I love the way they study the Bible (going through and studying the Bible passages faithfully) and their passion to apply it in their daily lives. I just wish that I could speak Spanish better, because most of the time I could only understand 80% of the discussion and they´ve moved to another topic by the time I finish arranging a simple sentence to say in my mind:) But thank God for their kindness and patient:)

One of the thing I notice from my Christian friends here in Qro is the balance they have in studying the Bible as God´s Words and relating to Him intimately. And I love this balance. Unlike many Western Christians, Christianity is more than a doctrine to them. Relationships really matter to them and thus they want to have a dynamic, intimate relationship with God. The Word of God, the prayers, the fellowships with other believers help them to have this intimate relationship with God and to hear His voice. For me, it´s very refreshing and inspiring to see this!

PS. Feel free to see my photo page to see the people I mentioned and the places I ´ve been to.

No comments: