Wednesday, May 02, 2007

La fiesta de quince años



I had a nice cultural experience last Saturday. One of the girl from the youth group was celebrating her 15th birthday. In the US, they usually have big parties on 16th b´day and in Indo, it´s 17th bday. But in Mexico, they have big parties when they´re celebrating their 15 años! (It´s called ´Quinceañera´ in some part of the Latin world).
It started with a service at 5.30pm at church. The birthday girl, Fatima, was all dressed up in lime-coloured ball gown and sat in a special throne in the front middle of the church close to the flowery gate. We sang praises for 45 minutes or so then the pastor gave a sermon and words of wisdom to the birthday girl. Then the dad of the birthday girl read a Bible passage and he asked the pastor and the pastor´s wife to put on a necklace on Fatima as a symbol that they will help look after her spiritually. Then we had a photo sessions with the birthday girl after the service and we headed to a salon (an open space where they have functions here in Mexico) for the party.



We arrived at the salon at 8ish then we´re served with a simple dinner of pasta and grilled chiken with pasta. Then we were dancing:) At first, Helena (the other intern from the States)and I didn´t wanna dance, because it was quite daunting to dance among the Latins! They are especially endowed by God to be able to dance well:P But we were dragged by Fatima´s dad, so we didn´t have any choice but be polite:) But I loved it, because it´s clean (there are no unusual moves), and we did group dance most of the time:) I went back home with my family at around 11pm, but the party went on until after 2am.

I enjoyed the time so much that I felt very sad when I think about leaving this place, these people, this church, these ministries, and these families....
Please pray that I will live to the hilt even in these last 3 weeks and that God would use this experience to stir my heart in the direction that He wants me to go *muchissimas gracias por sus oraciones* -_-

No comments: